Do you know some molds produce mycotoxin that may cause respiratory problems and even neurological damage? Molds are types of fungi that not only cause health issues but also damage the structure of your home. To avoid these potential problems, it’s crucial to prevent or eliminate mold growth. But how do you know that your home is mold infected?
The most common type of household mold is found in damp and moist places such as around leaking water pipes, basement, between bathroom tiles, behind wallpaper, or under sinks. Often mold can be easily seen on the walls and ceiling in the form of back-brown ugly patches. However, sometimes it grows in the hidden areas of the home that remains unnoticed. You may never realize that your home is mold infected unless it causes severe structural damage. Possibly, if your home was damaged by floodwater, there are chances of mold growth. Also, faulty plumbing is responsible for mold problems because moisture creates a breeding ground for mold.
Even if your home hasn’t been damaged by flood, there are still chances of mold presence in your house. To check if your home has mold or not, there are some subtle signs to look for. Read further to know the warning signs to watch out for that indicates your house could be harboring toxic mold.
Allergies and Other Health Issues
Mold can also cause allergic reactions and other health-related issues if left untreated. If there’s mold in your home, you may experience frequent cold, perpetually runny nose and sneezing fits. Now you may think how do I know if my allergy-like symptoms are caused by mold in my home? The simple answer to this question is that if your allergy gets worsened after spending time in a particular room or when you return home from work then the mold is the culprit. Mold can cause coughing, sneezing, itchy throat, or watery eyes.
If your air conditioning or heating system has started smelling strange, possibly it’s because of the mold. Sometimes mold grows around the air conditioning units because these are damp, dark, and exposed to warm temperatures. During winters, some people place the air conditioner in the basement that also increases the possibility of mold growth. Besides that, you may also notice a musty smell in some particular part of your home. This means that even if mold is not visible, the moldy smell is sufficient to tell its presence. If you notice any unusual smell consistently then make sure to get your home thoroughly inspected by a mold removal specialist.
Other signs of mold presence include discolored walls or peeling wallpaper. If your wallpaper has started peeling, bubbling, or cracking, it means there is moisture in the wall and results in mold growth. Even if you notice slight discoloration, you should touch the wall to check if it feels damp or looks warped. Most of the time, mold growth is obvious. You can see unusual spots on the walls and ceiling. However, some people mistakenly believe that these spots are just soot or dirt. Make sure you never avoid any sign of mold growth because small mold patches can quickly spread and soon become a bigger problem.